02 February 2013

I'm still thinking of Spring.








In my last post I told you I had found some tulip tips just peeping up through the cold ground.
Since then our weather hasn't improved. It's still cold and has poured with rain everyday.


Yesterday we had some publicity posted  in our mailbox
 advertising these tulips in a basket for only 3.99€

Similar to the ones waiting to flower by the front door of my ' Petite Maison '



We dashed off to the S/market ( Aldi ) which is 30 mins. drive from where we live, hoping to buy at least
 two baskets, but  I was so disappointed.as they  had sold out early that morning. 

 I did the next best thing & bought a bunch of tulips @ 1.99€





Tulips are not easy to arrange as they will soon bend over, drooping to where ever they want to go.


























Have a peep at the pictures I've taken to show you what I was able to do with just one bunch.

I brought out some of my small white containers that I love to use for flowers.Then chose     
 a few tulips, cut the stems short and  opened out their petals to make them look like this.

Have you ever tried doing this?

























I first saw this method about 30 yrs ago, when I wanted to learn about flower arranging.
I'll always remember it, as the demonstration was given by a man who showed simple ways of using just one
or two flower stems with  clusters of flowers and buds cut  to produce a very decorative arrangement.






As you can see, one bunch or bouquet,  I should say, as I live in France,  goes a long way.


Hope you liked what I did with one bouquet of tulips from  the super marche.
and @ a Bon marche prix.

a bientot 

Barbara Lilian


13 comments:

  1. Good Morning Barbara,
    It is lovely to see spring flowers and you have arranged them beautifully. Tulips seems to take on a life of their own when placed in a vase. I love the idea of placing the shorter stems in small vases....just lovely.
    Spring will reach you before it reaches us.....it is very cold at the moment...I can't wait for our trip to India to have some sun on my face.
    Have a lovely Sunday.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE tulips.. especially now in the house....and first though in the gardens..but I have a long time to wait..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Barbara, I didn't know!! It is gorgeous what you've done with the tulips! The ones J got me are all drooped over now & look so comical!. I will immediately go try some re-arranging. Your photos as well as the arrangments themselves are beautiful, & they make me feel so alive (as I shiver on this gray cold winter's day...) Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, I had no idea! What a simple idea, but it makes the tulip look like a whole new flower! Your pictures and flowers are just beautiful. I'll be remembering this one next time I have some tulips. So glad you shared! Enjoy your Sunday.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tulips! When they arrive we know it's spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what I miss the most from France? Fresh flowers. Your photos brought back many fond memories. Many thanks! Your house must look gorgeous with all these tulips in wonderful china pots.
    My goal for next week: to have our house full of tulips... in white china tea pots (got the china pot. Will have to investigate to find the tulips). Thanks for the inspiration :-)
    xoxo
    Anne Touraine (Playing with Scarves)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there

    Love what you do with a few sprigs! Thank you for my bunch of tulips. I put them in a vase as soon as I got home. I went through the stem with a needle just under the flower head and so far so good

    Love to you

    Michelle alias anon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very lovely pictures and thoughts but we are having a kind of Spring in Paris ow or maybe Fall...
    There were so many tulips I n my marche yesterday
    Where do they come from?
    From you!
    Carolg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tulips do have a mind of their own when put into a vase but they are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love tulips. Yours are so pretty in the white container. I've never seen a tulip folded back like that, it's so pretty and looks like an entirely different flower. Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know Mr groundhog said early spring , so we will all be having pretty tulips soon.
    I almost bought some pink tulips at the grocery store Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seeing the tulips,lifted my spirits today.....tulips are some of my favorite flowers! (I think it is the Dutch in me) Gorgeous photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely, excellent idea . . . which I will try. You said it perfectly, tulips are sometimes difficult to arrange. The perfect vase, container sometimes doesn't work at all. I usually remove most of the leaves and cut them back for arranging in a smaller vessel, like a tea pot or small pitcher. I can't wait to try folding back the petals . . . If I succeed I will credit you for the idea on my Irish Garden House.

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you