09 July 2014

Sketches... painted of my garden during recooperation time.

 
 
Poppy painted on my Nepalese hand made paper.
After trials and errors I now realise
 I have to use more paint and less water.
 

 
This one was painted on hand made paper from Solange in the Provence.
When I was there I visited the paper mill where you could see
the process of how the paper was made. I wish I had bought the sheets of paper,
but I had only just started to paint with water colours then
and I only bought a pack of postcards, but I still have a few left.
 


 
 
Our pool, which I've only been looking at over the past few weeks.
and now I am allowed to swim, we have dull rainy weather
and as I'm a sun worshiper and not a keen swimmer
I need a hot sunny day to tempt me.
 
 
 
 
 
Our new brightly coloured sun brollies for the pool area
 
 
 
 
Where we sit for morning coffee.
 


 
 
 
 
 A corner of the garden that has given us plenty of colour,
especially the poppies on the left. which have now been removed
ready for some herbaceous plants to take their place.
The roses on the right where beautiful, until we had a terrific storm
 a few days ago and now they've all been battered .
Hopefully we'll get a second lot to flower over the following weeks.


 
 


This area is work in progress.
However since my back problem it has been put on hold.
The wall was built in the springtime
 and a few cuttings of Buddleia were literally shoved in,
have grown well and now beginning to give us some colour
along with the never ending butterflies that love it.

 
 
 
 
 
I'm now feeling much better so I've been pottering about dead heading,
nothing too energetic for the time being.
 I do start to get carried away and get told off by Mr France
 and made to rest, I must be patient
 
I'll be so happy when I can get my hands in the earth again,.
 
I've sketched a lot over the past few weeks.
So I'll be showing you some more soon.
In the meantime I hope you are enjoying lots of warm sunny days in your gardens.
 
 

à bientôt

Barbara Lilian

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


9 comments:

  1. Good Evening Barbara, I thought I would catch up with you to see how you are doing.... and by the sounds of it you are doing very well. Mr France is absolutely right to reign you in a little, as it is so easy to do too much gardening in one go. I am so pleased to hear you are pottering around the garden again.
    Yours watercolours are beautiful and I love the first watercolour. As I know very little about painting it is interesting to learn about the different papers which you use. It is lovely that you have a record of your garden, but not as normal, in photographs, but in beautiful watercolours.
    George is watching the football and I am off to bed.
    Take care and Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  2. How delightful to have a record of your summer through your paintings. Being forced to take it easy has given you the opportunity to further your painting talents. Listen to Mr. France, you don't want to take a step backwards in your progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see your sketches, Barbara, it's such a good way to keep busy when you can't get on with your normal way of life. The poppy on the hand made paper looks good and I know what you mean about adjusting the paint/water combination, hand made paper is very absorbent. But isn't it lovely to have seen how and where it was made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, I love the paintings! You are quite talented!
    So glad to hear you are in the garden again....isn't it just supreme?? Hard not to get too energetic....try not, don't undo what you have gotten fixed.
    Nancy
    wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are just lovely Barbara - what a gift you have.
    I love them all - I hope you frame these!
    The handmade paper is lovely too - adds texture.
    One of my friends did a workshop on making paper, she has made a some lovely cards.
    Oh I'm so glad to hear you can do little bits of dead-heading - be careful...
    Hugs
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  6. So delightful to see your garden through your sketches. They will be treasures to look back on. We are in the 90's here so have to work in the garden very early and be done by 10 AM. Lots of watering as of late. Everything is so dry. Glad you are feeling better. I hope this comment isn't a repeat as I left one a few minutes ago but I don't think it went through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These paintings are pretty, Barbara. I like the colorful umbrellas. I always wished I could draw or paint, but never had any talent in that. My kids can all draw, and Nel paints, and I don't know where they get it from haha.

    I hope you are enjoying the summer days.

    love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sketches have such a delightful, old fashioned feel to them. Perhaps you would enjoy this site:
    http://celiathaxtergarden.com/
    And perhaps you'd enjoy Childe Hassam's paintings of the same island in NH
    http://bjws.blogspot.com/2014_08_03_archive.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, Love seeing your sketches . . . Inspiring . . .

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you