22 April 2015

Taking a short break from my garden.

This time of the year is always busy in the garden.
We are leaving for a trip and everything is growing so fast,
I wanted to do so much, but time is running out.
I feel like the mad hatter in 'Alice in Wonderland'

These days everything seems to take us so much longer to do.
We have shrubs that have grown so big they need to be cut back or moved.
They'll have to wait a little while longer.
 Fortunately the new roses have been planted at the replacement arbour.
They should have settled in nicely while we are missing
 and hopefully will have signs of buds when we return.


We do take a break now and again, to sit here
 and drink a mid morning cup of coffee and early evening 
after our day working in the garden we have an aperitif,

or as Mr France says.'Him doing the hard work and me titivating'.
Well someone has to give the orders.

I'm hoping that these climbing roses will do better this year.
After a year of neglect, I've given them lots of TLC which they were
in desperate need of, so I'm looking forward to seeing the reward.
Also I must stake up the peonies before they get too big.
I have Day Lilies & some Penstemon that a friend gave me still to plant.
Can you see my garden whimsy peeping out from behind the Euphorbia ?
I still haven't decided, whether she stays or goes.
Take a look here it was my gift from the floral committee. 

A gift from my daughter three Ranunculus in a pot.
Their petals are so pretty, wrapped round and round and so paper thin.

At the moment this is our view from the terrace.
We can see the wild Cherry trees in blossom  Food for the birds.
When we get back, I'm sure this view will be very different,
 all the trees will be dressed in their green robes,

I did manage to find some time to paint a sketch in my garden journal
of one of my Camellia flowers, before it turned brown & fell off.




I'll be taking this small sketch journal with me
 and a few ink pencils .


This lovely hand bound sketchbook was sent to me by Valerie Gardiner 
who has a lovely blog called Colours in the Breizh
 On her travels she doesn't use a camera, only the
detailed sketches she does 'en situe' in her own hand bound sketchbooks.


If I miss your posts, while I'm away, I'll try and catch up when I get back.
Enjoy your gardens,
especially those who have only just stopped having snow.


à bientôt
Barbara Lilian

15 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara,

    Enjoy your break away and hope you have a wonderful time.
    I enjoyed seeing your beautiful garden - love the pretty ranunculus.

    Safe trip
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your gardens look lovely ♥ Enjoy your time away and come home relaxed and ready to go. Love the art and the new journal is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a terrific break....we are expecting company this weekend through into next week....then I will be taking a break.....LOL
    Nancy
    wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Barbara- just lovely photos. You certainly live in such a gorgeous spot. I think it would be hard to leave it especially this time of the year. Hope you have a great trip. Your flowers that you painted are beautiful. Hope you get lots of sketches and will share when you return. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your gardens looks so pretty and everything getting green and blooming. I hope you have a nice vacation and will share when you return. Blessings. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your time away . . . Do you say, "we will be on holiday" like our friends in Ireland say?
    I love seeing your gardens . . . things flowering in the containers . . . rock stone wall, your sitting area . . . all very lovely. I love your flower painting too . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Barbara I do hope you have a lovely time on holiday and I'm thrilled you'll be taking the sketchbook with you. Thanks for the link to my blog too. We're still in England so it will be a while before I can blog my latest pics and one of these days I really must get round to using the pigments you sent me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Evening Barbara, Have a wonderful holiday and put your feet up and enjoy the odd glass of wine.
    When you return you will find quite a change in your garden as the weather seems to be warming up quite nicely, which means everything will grow well.
    With your green fingers I feel sure your roses will do well this year.
    I do love ranunculus and they are so special because they were gifted to you by your daughter.
    Have a lovely break.
    Best wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara,
    I hope you have a nice break from your garden. I noticed the ranunculus. I love this flower so much and it was the first one I planted in my garden. My white and yellow roses are blossoming nicely, but we had some rain and the red and pink ones are slow growing. I love your view with the white blossom tree.

    Take care, my friend.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely garden, Barbara. What a great place to while away an afternoon or evening.
    I hope you have a wonderful holiday...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Inspired to have come across you. Love the beauty of your garden, and the lonely chair in the garden weathered to rural rustic Frenchness takes my breath away.

    Xx
    Bisous

    Doré

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Barbara - oh, I so wish I could come and visit you in your beautiful garden! It is in such a lovely setting with beautiful pasture land and country fencing. Your stonewalls and trellising are wonderful. I just love the pale pink of the tulips and ranunculus - this color is so subtle yet really brightens the landscape. Yes, time slips away from us in spring when there is so much to do. I always have so many plans, but not enough time! I hope you have an enjoyable journey. I so love your watercolor and the idea of taking a sketch book instead of a camera. I tried that once when we went to the desert and I treasure it. 'See' you when you get back! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Mother's Day, Barbara, to my dear friend in France.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy your time away! I enjoyed seeing your garden, and have always loved ranunculus. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I missed this post Barbara..I hope you had a nice trip..oh here too some bushes are too big and have to go..a job for a younger person..:(

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you