04 June 2012

French windows.

I just love the windows on old French houses.

This cottage belongs to some friends of mine who live in Limoges city & now that they have retired, they come to their country home as often as they can. Later I will show some pictures of their garden, it's a true country garden & I'm sure would be everyones dream garden. 



 I think I love the windows on old French houses because the windows open in, inviting the warm sunshine indoors. However the French people always close the shutters when it's hot to keep the house cool. I love to see old lace curtains looking more like lace handkerchieves than the style I was used to seeing in England. I hated lace curtains when I was a child. It made me think of dark rooms and old people. I never really new any old people as my Grandmother passed away when I was very young, and I don't have many memories of her. But I do remember the lace curtains in her house covering the whole of the windows, making the Victorian period house even darker. So have a peep at some of the windows I love.

This window is on the front of my daughters house.



A friends cottage







One of the windows my husband put in
when renovating the old barn, which we now live in.  
He was able to find the granite to make the surround
from a barn which had fallen down. 


This is the view from the window of La Petite maison
which we rent for holidays.




I hope you liked peeping through the windows.

a bientot

Barbara Lilian



4 comments:

  1. can't wait to have my windows covered with beautiful roses

    gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Beautiful post. Love the old windows...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love windows..especially French ones barbara..This is charming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your post thanx Barbara. We visited France for the first time this year (Sep 2012), and share the same sentiment about the pace of life. Couldnt get enough of the beautiful shutters, exteriors, front doors, gardens and fresh food markets. We could stay there easily, but timing is essential for know.

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you