17 September 2013

A day trip to Brantome in the Dordogne Region.


Brantôme (Brantòsme in Occitan) is a commune in the Dordogne department in southwestern France. It is the seat of the canton of Brantôme. Via Lemovicensis (fr), an old pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela, runs through Brantôme. The commune, which retains its picturesque atmosphere, is situated along the river Dronne




Brantome is one of my favourite places to visit, it's about an hours drive from where we live, so we usually go for lunch. There are restaurants all along the river bank.The most prestigious being the
'Restaurant Charbonnel' owned by the well known chefs, 'Freres Charbonnel'
I've only ever peeped inside and looked on the Internet to find out the comments and decided to go to our usual riverside restaurant.







All these restaurants are on the banks of the river Dronne

 
We walked along the edge of the river, watched the river boats pass by, then crossed over the bridge.




heading to our favourite restaurant.


During the months of July and August we normaly need to make a reservation
 for a table on the terrace at the rivers edge,
 so were  pleased when the waiter asked where we would like to sit.






I'm a lover of fish so really enjoyed what I chose. However I'm afraid I can't remember what it was,
It wasn't a fish I was familiar with, but it was delicious,
served on sliced muchrooms, with diced vegetables in a spicy sauce.





After our lunch we strolled along the river bank admiring all the pretty houses.



 











As I was taking this photo a very haughty French lady appeared and told me NOT to take any photos.
It was an art gallery and I had intended  to look around, as the poster outside showed some lovely water colour pictures.
Needless to say I didn't go in. Oh well her loss.

As we have been here many times we didn't go inside the abbey on this visit.

Abbey of Brantôme, which was founded in 769 by Charlemagne;







On the right is the Abbey which is built into the rocks.

By mid afternoon the town was getting very busy & we don't like crowds.
so it was time we left.



On the way to the carpark we saw someone else who thought it was time to go home







I just loved the way his little dog was standing in the basket


Hope you enjoyed seeing one of the many places we love visit.



à bientôt

Barbara Lilian



11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely day out and that fish dish looks, well, good enough eat =)

    Good on yer or not going into the art gallery after that lady was rude to you - serves her right.

    Really like the photos and the blog is great!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice post about a lovely town I've not been to...but should visit someday. :) Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos! What a beautiful day to enjoy such a beautiful town. And that dog is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a darling town and aren't you lucky to live just an hour away!
    I wish it was closer to Paris...
    A perfect afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Dordogne region looks so beautiful! When I went to France last summer I went down the east side, would love to back and do the west side and Dordogne would definitely be on the list! I am so excited to have found your blog, I love France and it's always wonderful finding a blog from France written in English! I just became your newest follower!
    -Khammany

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someday I hope to visit to this region, thank you for reminding me of the beauty of France. I enjoyed your recent visit to my blog, Barbara. Also, I want to say, your garden photos & your sweet painting are lovely. Bonne continuation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the post . . . what a gorgeous place to visit, lunch, enjoy. I would stay away from that haughty lady! The doggie looks like ours when she rides along on the bike . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful town. I would have to bring my watercolors and never leave. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos and time with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifiul images! We have been there only once and in high summer..it was packed with tourists...we were even addressed in the shops and the market as well as the restaurant in English, they just assumed we were English speaking..but it is beautiful, as you lovely photos show.
    Bises
    R

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you