29 October 2013

Chrysanthemums for remembrance


 Outside of the supermarkets big and small are pots & pots of  Chrysanthemums for sale
 in all of the lovely colours, which are bought  and then placed on the graves
 of their loved ones,.in remembrance for 'All  Saints day'




All over France this time of the year you can see masses of Chrysanthemums in pots,
 as beautiful floral decorations in the towns and cities and on the roundabouts.







.


In France
Chrysanthemums are never given as a gift to anyone,
 and you rarely see them planted in the gardens.
In the first village I lived in I soon learnt it wasn't the done thing
 to use them as a floral decoration outside my front door.



These lovely arrangements are in our local church.
This one amongst many others was in the entrance area.




 in front of the alter.






This was my favourite.


















After our visit inside the beautifully decorated church we had a wander around the market stalls.

and I couldn't resist snapping this little fellow
 who seemed  to be on guard 
at a market stall.




I hope you liked seeing how the French people use
Chrysanthemums for remembrance.



à bientôt
Barbara Lilian

7 comments:

  1. All the different colors are beautiful! Of course I love seeing how the French do...anything! Thanks for sharing the colorful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE have red poppy pins everywhere:)

    I never knew the tradition..thank you..
    What a lovely way of REMEMBERING~
    PS..When i saw the pup..I thought..try and paint Barbara..Very PB..!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just catching up on your posts while traveling and found this one so interesting. Didn't know about the chrysanthemums being for remembrance in France.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, yes, I did enjoy them very much. In Poland, I was told that wreaths were used during mourning, & not given as gifts otherwise...I remember associating mums with football games in high school...but am hazy on the details...They're such a hearty, strong flower, aren't they & so bright as other plants are fading...

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so beautiful for fall decor. I also have such find memories of my visit to France! Your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Barbara, Isn't it interesting how different countries celebrate different traditions. When I went to America last time, it was Autumn and Chrysanthemums were everywhere. People planted them in pots and placed them outside their doors. Here in England, as you know, Chrysanthemums are the reliable Autumn plant, which I plant as they provide me with flowers.
    I loved the little puppy guard dog, wasn't he sweet.
    I hope you are still able to enjoy a little sunshine, we have woken to frost on the ground, but we have clear blue skies and beautiful sunshine, so I am going to take advantage of the nice weather and go for a walk.
    Best wishes to you,
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting local tradition. The mums do look wonderful about town. So nice that you came by for a look at my swedish ivy post. Unfortunately I don't know it's proper name! But it's certainly the most easy potted plant I have ever grown. I hope you find one!

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you