18 October 2014

Sketches of the Atlantic / Charente coast.


At last I've started to sketch in my Moleskine journal.
I don't know why I was hesitating. 
It's so lovely to paint in,
I'm  really enjoying dabbling at trying different techniques.
I wish I'd used it sooner.



Talmont was the village we stayed at.
 I knew I'd love painting these chocolate box style cottages.




I didn't see the sign not to pick the seeds.
Préserver notre site. 
Ne pas cueillir les fleurs et gralnes
~~~~~
Protect our site
Do not pick the flowers or seeds.
~~~~~
 until I'd slipped a few seed heads into my pocket.
To compensate for my
vraiment grave erreur / really bad mistake 

 I bought some postcards which two lovely elderly ladies 
had had the initiative to put the card in a see through bag
and add lots of the roses trémières / hollyhocks seeds
then embellish the bag with a pretty etiquette
Plaisir d'offrir  / The pleasure of giving .
How thoughtful is that.








We went further along the coast to Meshers, and walked along the cliff edge over looking the Atlantic, where we saw lots of  huts on stilts, some painted blue.They're called  Carrelets  and are used for fishing.They have large square nets with a sturdy frame, which are lowered into the shallow water to catch whatever fish might be passing.and then a crane like lifting device is used to lift the net which needs two or three men to operate as they are very heavy.



Les Grottes.

The caves originally carved by nature, later the holes were then enlarged by man to become
 the 19th C. real troglodytes.(some caves are still occupied today )







Translation

Be it at the bottom of these lost holes 
under those layers of fossils
that happiness is nesting

M. Brossard 
Naturel Scientist  1891

~~~~~~


I hope you enjoyed seeing the Atlantic/Charente coast
through my sketches in a Moleskine - Carnet Aquarelle 21x13 cm.
Using a Micron /pigma 01 pen and painted with W & N water colour paints.


à bientôt

Barbara Lilian



8 comments:

  1. Dear Barbara - these sketches are simply wonderful...you have been hiding your gorgeous talent. I enjoyed each one. Had to smile about the seeds. I am sure I would have done the same thing too. Oh thank you so much for sharing your beautiful work. How do you like your moleskin...I think I just may have to purchase one of these too. New sketchbooks are easy to buy they are terrifying to start sketching - the fear of that white blank piece of paper can be quite distressing (lol). That is probably why I have several new ones never opened...waiting for inspiration...or perfection - silly me! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara I love your sketches, so colourful and the compositions are excellent. The moleskine watercolour sketchbooks were my favourites too till I started to make my own but I still have one tucked away for a rainy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these sketches, you have have painted from your photos.
    You should get out and paint 'en plein air' and see if you see things differently !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the changes you've made to your blog. Recently I've had problems being able to make any comments on your blog. But after clicking on the word 'comments' the comment box appeared. I'm enjoying seeing your paintings. I hope these will become a regular thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Barbara
    Your sketches are beautiful - they take my breath away.
    If I saw them as little cards in a shop I would buy them and treasure them!
    Yes I remember those charming cottages as we passed through villages.
    The hollyhocks do so well in that gravelly dry soil.
    I've been wondering how you are - I'll email!
    Hugs
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved seeing them . . . Encouragement . . . for me. My mother started sketching on 3x5 index cards at sixty ive plus . . . some of her small watercolorsxare now my treasured art in our home. I think she must be encouraging me from afar. I recently purchased a book on watercolor for beginners. Plus my recent class in acrylics has me inspired. I love your Moleskin Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Barbara, oh my, how wonderful that you got past your resistance to the new Moleskine!! What a treasure you have now in this little journal!! You draw & sketch so beautifully, I just love the color & happiness you express. Your drawing & painting gives me pleasure & must have given you plesure while you were doing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely way to remember your trip…you are so talented with your painting.

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you