15 March 2015

Dahlias for Mr France.



When we were young and bought our first house in 1965.
it was a new build  on a small estate, in the north of England.
At that time, when the builders had finished building,
the garden was not landscaped ready for the new owner.
 We had a lot of preparation to do, before it even resembled a garden.
We were both very young and didn't know much about gardening then.



Then one day, my husbands father who didn't visit us very often,
arrived with a big brown paper bag full of Dahlias.
I wasn't  familiar with the different varieties.
So didn't know what to expect.
I must admit they grew quickly, but those huge flowers 
which were mainly the big blousey cactus type,
were not to my liking, and since then I've never planted them again.



There are not many flowers I don't like.
but these are not one of my favourite flowers.
~~~~~~~~~~
I'll let you into a little secret.
Until a few years ago Mr France didn't know a weed from a cultivated flower.
However he's now started to take an interest in the garden.
and during that time he'd asked me several times
' What was the name of the flowers my Dad planted in our first garden '
and because I didn't like them, I told him ' I couldn't remember'



But I've been caught out.
as he now comes with me to the garden centers,
He saw the bags of Dahlia tubers with the image stapled to the bag,
and said 'these are the flowers I mean'
~~~~~~~~~~
After all these years, I've only just told him I knew
what they were. but as I didn't like them I said
' I couldn't remember what flowers he meant.'

We made a compromise and chose another variety.
So he's happy.
These are the variety we chose and we both like them.

I quite like the look of these.
( Looks like a nice flower to paint in my Garden journal )


He immediately put two bags into the trolley.

Back to my first garden.
Looking at the old photos we had lots of colour from the 'Nemesia'
but my planting left a lot to be desired.
I can also see some other plants there
that's NOT on my list of favourites  'Gladiola'
I think that's because it's tall and spiky and only has one flower stem.



As I've shown some photos of our first dog, 'Ricky'
I thought I'd tell you a little about him.
He was a miniature poodle and I may add nothing like a posh poodle.
 At that time Mr France worked shifts and thought it would be a good idea
for me to have a dog for company, as he worked late hours
and sometimes during the night.

 When we arrived at the kennel to choose our new puppy
he was a bit surprised when he saw the breed of dog I had set my heart on,
 Something small and as we thought would be easy to look after.
 But who could resist a little ball of black fluff.


But he was nothing like a poodle in character.
As he grew he liked nothing better than to roll in anything that smelt nasty.
which was usually just after he'd been to the poodle parlour.
So we soon put a stop to that, and he only ever went to have a quick trim
around his face and feet  as we couldn't manage that ourselves,
and we trimmed the rest and shampooed him.


I hope you enjoyed my little trip down memory lane.
and you forgive me for keeping my secret from Mr France.

He's looking forward to summer, to see the Dahlias growing 
in the big stone pots we have on our sun deck.

Do you keep harmless secrets from your husband ?

à bientôt
Barbara Lilian





12 comments:

  1. I love dahlias as they are such brightly coloured flowers and come in many shapes and sizes. My late mother-in-law planted them along her driveway every spring and hauled them into the basement in big old containers to store for the winter. That is the reason I don't plant them here. They can't stay in the ground over the winter. I'm glad your secret is out and hope you enjoy them a bit more than before. I also like gladiolas. :) Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your story and if Mr. France has forgiven you how could we not as well. Actually, I would never have guessed that you were so sneaky. :D I think dahlias are beautiful but I've never cared too much for gladiolas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post . . . I'll have to think about whether I keep a little secret from my Mister IGH.
    I agree with you though, I don't like ALL Dahlias . . . Some are so magical and perfect though.
    I know someone here who raises and sells his tubers . . . . He has amazing gardens.
    I don't like the digging up part of having Dahlias in the garden.
    Interesting you put yours in pots.. I might try that ths year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet walk down Memory Lane, Barbara! It's so nice that you and Mr. France have agreed on a lovely variety of Dahlias. He will enjoy watching them grow in the garden… and you will love painting them in your Garden journal. Wishing you a great week ahead! ♡

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely story, chrysanthemums are my bete noire, I hate the smell. Your dahlias will look beautiful and the single ones will be easier to paint too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picture of you two back in the 60's. So stylish! Also, the new flowers you've planted are lovely. And that poodle was so cute. All the poodles I've known are great family dogs and sweet. Also, I'm partial to black ones. You don't see the dirt as much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My memories too. Although I remember Ricky as a bigger dog, or was it because I was so small back then? I had a blank canvas in my gardens from my husband. As long as there was colour and some shade in which to sit he was happy. Cerries xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A sweet story. I love Dahlias and mu husband thinks they are too tall. I bought some of the shorter ones but don'y like the flowers as well. So is ou on going issues with the flower garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara, such a delightful story about the Dahlias. They are quite spiky, aren't they? wow, look at YOU in these pictures, and those long legs! I love to look at photos from the past. They are treasures for sure. I think you compromised with a pretty flower for your garden. I smiled when you mentioned the weeds because sometimes I see them on blogs and can't tell whether they are weeds or flowers (I see beauty in them also). You can always look back at the poloroid picture (oh, how I love those) and see your very first garden. I can't wait to plant some flowers, and my next post will be about the ranunculus I planted. Are you familiar with them? It's such a sturdy and pretty flower.

    Happy St. Patrick's Day, Barbara. Do you celebrate it there? I really enjoyed seeing pictures of you with your husband and your dog, Ricky. They were truly wonderful.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't you two just adorable? Oh, I did get a little laugh out of your 'secret'! Yes, I have kept little secrets from my Mr. - mostly when we were raising the family and one of them got into some minor trouble.....(He had a stressful job - best not to add to the stress), or if I have overspent on something :) Not that he minds, he is such a sweetie. So cute about your poodle rolling in stinky things - especially dead things....Ick! I am in agreement about the Dahlia's. My Dad loved those tall, spiky ones, too and was always passing them along. I do love the ones you compromised on. Aren't they pretty? I have not been getting your feed for some reason, so I have re-subscribed and hope that helps. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbara, lavender sounds so nice to plant in our garden. I never thought about that. Yes, my husband has an idea on how he wants the veggies planted. He is familiar with gardening, as his dad always had a garden at their house. I look forward to watching everything come about, and thanks for the suggestion on the lavender. I'll let husband know about that. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Afternoon Barbara, I loved your story about dahlias.... I'm like you I really don't care for them, but George loves them. What I have noticed is he loves big, blousey, colourful flowers, whereas I prefer more sublte colours. I did give in last year and we bought some tubers, but George was put off by the slug invasion.... incase you are wondering, no I didn't pop a few slugs in the pot to let them eat the leaves.... honest ((haha).
    I remember dahlias and gladioli were so popular as garden flowers, as my Gramps grew them in abundance. The trouble with gladioli is unless staked they fall down, but I did notice my young neighbour buys them as flowers to place in vases. So it seems what goes around certainly comes around.
    mmm you have got me thinking, what have I kept from George...... I'll have a think and let you know.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you