08 July 2015

Cutting my Lavender

Very soon after I'd been living in France and several weekly visits
 to the local markets, bringing back home the wonderful selection
 of fresh fruit and vegetables in plastic carrier bags.
I realized I needed the right shopping bag, so I bought my French
 style market basket, which as you can see is well worn
as it's been to many markets.

But early this morning before the sun had come up I used it 
along with my well used flat basket 
to carry the freshly cut Lavender from my garden.


I gathered it by the hand-full and tied each bunch with string, to hang
and leave to dry in a dark room hoping it will keep it's lovely blue colour.


 During the day I moved the bunches around the terrace
so that I could enjoy the beautiful aroma.
Each time I touched the flower heads, they release their oil so the scent
 began to float around the terrace, reminding me of my visit to the Provence.


I left a bouquet on the day bed.



Tomorrow I'll be cutting some more
and making some Lavender and ribbon posies.


I'll also be replacing this lavender from last year 
and using it to fill some small cotton bags I've made
 to hang in the guest bedrooms.


I love this time of the year the days are long,
 and the garden is full of
 wonderful perfume from the many different plants.

I'd love to know what you do with your Lavender.
I have a good crop this year so I need lots of new ideas, let me know.

Look forward to your ideas.
à bientôt
Barbara Lilian


10 comments:

  1. Cutting lavender is on my list of things to do this week, too. I love the idea of laying a bundle on the guest bed. We have guests coming tomorrow so this is very timely. I make sachets with the lavender and put them into my linen cupboard and closets. I also have bunches that dry in a vase in the little social bathroom. Would love to hear more ideas of what to do with the lavender.
    Your bundles look lovely in your basket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your well used market bag and the basket and, of course, lavender. Mine is just coming into bloom and I'll be cutting it for small bunches to use in my decor. I only have 2 bushes of it but that's enough. I really enjoy the scent of it. Your photos are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely color! And your ribbon and lavender creations are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a gorgeous view to see the Lavendar up on that bank above the stone wall . . .
    So lovely . . .
    I hooe your bunches dry beautifully . . .
    I haven't had luck with growing Lavendar . . . So much shade in the yard, moisture too and my attemots to grow a bed of it have failed. I love seeing your pictures though and to dream of the fragrance. I am going to forward this post on to a friend who recently cut some of her Lavendar . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine how lovely your terrace must smell with the aroma of lavender in the air. I've never grown lavender but I've bought lavender bundles that were wrapped in parchment paper cones that I've placed on shelves in my closets. They are supposed to keep moths away from wool clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am Lynne's friend. I did just harvest my 2 square feet of lavender. We in the Midwest of the U.S. have problems growing lavender. Then I planted my lavender in the hottest driest place at my home on the south exposure and neglect it. That was the trick and I am in heaven with my little crop. I can imagine how your harvest smells Barbara and your photos are lovely. Thank you to Lynne for sharing your beautiful post with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your lavender bunches look wonderful, I can't wait to cut mine for the first time in a week or so. I seem to remember you did a tutorial about making those pretty ribbon tied bunches??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, you really have lots of lavender! Beautiful post and photos! The bundles look so beautiful in the bag and basket.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, how lovely. I adore Lavender! Here in Chicago my lavender just doesn't like it. I love your huge garden of lavender! Must be heavenly!

    ReplyDelete

I really love it when you leave a note in my comment box, then I know you have popped by. Thank you